Alberta Blue Cross provides heath insurance for more than 1.6 million Albertans, including individuals, seniors, employers and families.
- You can make a claim online
- Clear and helpful FAQ and help sections online
- If you’re age 60 or over, you can’t buy travel insurance online. You’ll need to contact contact Alberta Blue Cross by phone or in person to purchase travel coverage. Travel insurance is only available to residents of Alberta
- Visitors to Canada plans aren’t offered
- Extreme sports are not covered (including bungee jumping, hang gliding, parachuting, para-sailing, mountain climbing, rock climbing, skydiving, scuba diving as a professional or without certification).
- A limited variety of plans
Alberta Blue Cross offers two types of travel plans: the Blue Cross Single Trip Daily Travel Plan and the Blue Cross Annual Multi-trip Travel Plan.
Alberta Blue Cross Single Trip Daily Travel Plan
This plan is designed for Albertans for persons travelling outside Alberta for a single trip vacation or business travel. It includes up to It includes up to $5 million emergency medical coverage per person per year. Trip cancellation, trip interruption and baggage insurance are not included. There is a 90 (ninety) day stability period for pre-existing conditions if you’re age 59 or younger.
Alberta Blue Cross Annual (Multi-trip) Travel Plan
This plan is designed for Albertans who travel outside Alberta more than once a year for vacation purposes only. It includes up to $5 million emergency medical coverage per person per year. Trip cancellation, trip interruption and baggage insurance are not included.. There is a 90 (ninety) day stability period for pre-existing conditions if you’re age 59 or younger.
Comparison Chart for Alberta Blue Cross Travel Insurance Plans
Tips for Saving with Alberta Blue Cross Travel Insurance
You can get a 10% if you have another policy with Alberta Blue Cross.
Refunds and Extensions
You cannot get a refund on the Blue Cross Annual (Multi-trip) plan after the effective date. If you apply in writing before the effective date, you can get a full refund.
You can get a full refund on the Blue Cross Single Trip plan if your request is received before the effective date. You can get a partial refund on your Blue Cross Single Trip, with proof of return (e.g., a copy of your boarding pass). There’s a $15 administrative fee. You cannot get a refund if a claim is pending or if a claim has been paid.
You can purchase an extension on your annual plan (beyond 30 days for a single trip), but you must purchase the extension before you leave on your trip. You can extend your single trip plan as well, but again, you need to buy the extension before you leave on your trip.
You Need to Know
- Alberta Blue Cross plans are underwritten by the Canadian Association of Blue Cross Plans.
- You need to have valid Alberta Health Care before purchasing an Alberta Blue Cross Travel .
- You must buy coverage for your entire trip, or your coverage may be void. You need to buy your travel insurance policy before you leave on your trip. World Nomads is one of the few travel insurance companies that will let you buy travel insurance after you’ve departed.
- Policies and coverage can change at any time, without warning. This article is only intended as general advice. Please check your own policy carefully.
How to Buy
You can buy Alberta Blue Cross travel plans by filing an online quote and making payments via credit card, by phone or by visiting any ABC office. However, applicants aged 59 and above need to contact Alberta Blue Cross by phone or in person and fill an additional medical questionnaire.
Want to Compare Alberta Blue Cross’ Rates and Plans?
If you’d like to compare Alberta Blue Cross plans and policies with other travel insurance companies, the quickest way is to get a few comparison quotes.
Comparison websites, like Kanetix.ca, let you compare quotes for travel insurance from several different companies at once. You type in a few details about your trip, and compare policy coverage and prices to help narrow down your choice. Check out our review of Kanetix.ca.