The Alberta Motor Association (AMA) is affiliated with the Canadian Automobile Association (CAA) and the American Automobile Association (AAA). The AMA was founded in 1926, and now serves 950,000 members in a province with a population of just over 4 million.
You don’t need to be an AMA member to get travel insurance through the AMA.
- No age limit for emergency medical insurance only plans
- Members save 10% on travel medical insurance premiums
- Medical health questionnaire required if aged 60 or over
The AMA offers a single trip and multi-trip plan with basic emergency medical insurance only. They also offer a single trip and multi-trip annual plan with trip cancellation, interruption, baggage and other benefits, and a visitors to Canada plan.
Single Trip Emergency Medical Plan
The AMA single trip plan ensures you for one trip, and includes $5 million in emergency medical insurance, and $500 baggage insurance. It does not include trip cancellation or trip interruption insurance. There is no age limit.
Multi-Trip (Annual) Emergency Medical Plan
The AMA multi-trip plan provides coverage for multiple trips in one year. You can choose 15, 30 or 60 day options. Coverage includes $5 million in emergency medical insurance, and $500 baggage insurance. It does not include trip cancellation or trip interruption insurance. There is no age limit.
Single Trip Premium Package Plan
This plan gives coverage for one trip, and includes $5 million in emergency medical insurance, $1,500 baggage insurance, $2,500 trip cancellation insurance and unlimited trip interruption. The age limit is 84.
Multi-Trip Annual Premium Package Plan
The AMA Multi-Trip (Annual) Premium Package Plan offers coverage for multiple trips in one year. You can choose 15, 30 or 60 day options. Coverage includes $5 million in emergency medical insurance, $1,500 baggage insurance, $2,500 trip cancellation insurance and unlimited trip interruption.
Visitors to Canada Plan
The AMA Visitors to Canada plan offers $150,000 in emergency medical insurance. You must be a visitor to Canada or hold a Canadian work or student visa, or be an immigrant to Canada. Canadians not covered by a a government health insurance plan (GHP) are also eligible for this plan. This plan cannot be purchased later than 30 days after arrival in Canada.
Comparison Chart for Travel Insurance Plans
Tips for Saving
- AMA members save 10% on travel medical insurance premiums
- A special rate is available for families of three or more
- The Multi-Trip Emergency Medical Plan and the Multi-Trip Annual Premium Package Plan are non-refundable after the effective date of coverage.
- For the Single Trip Emergency Medical Plan, full refunds must be requested in writing to AMA before coverage starts. You must request a partial refund to AMA in writing, if no claim was made, before coverage expires with proof of early return (e.g. customs or immigration stamp, gas receipts).
- You can get a partial or full refund on the Visitors to Canada plan. See your policy for details.
You Need to Know
- You need a valid Canadian Government Health Insurance Plan (except for visitors to Canada plans)
- Policies are underwritten by Orion Travel Insurance Company
- You must apply for coverage before leaving on your trip. World Nomads is one of the only insurers we’ve found that offer insurance if you’ve already left on your trip.
- Policies and coverage can change at any time, without warning. This article is only intended as general advice. Please check your own policy carefully and visit Pacific Blue Cross for up to date information.
How to Buy
You can get a quote and buy online with a credit card on the AMA website.
You can purchase insurance by phone at 1-866-989-6595.
Want to Compare Alberta Motor Association (AMA) Travel Insurance Rates?
The easiest way to compare Canadian travel insurance rates is to use a comparison website.
Comparison websites, like Kanetix.ca, let you compare quotes for travel insurance from several different companies at once. Type in a few details about your trip, and compare policy coverage and prices to help narrow down your choice. Check out our review of Kanetix.ca.