Blue Cross is best known for it’s supplemental medical insurance for Canadians, but it’s also one of the biggest, and most trusted, Canadian travel insurance companies.
Blue Cross offers its insurance through one of the seven independent Blue Cross member plans across Canada.
Blue Cross Travel Insurance
While Blue Cross is a cross-Canada organization, travel insurance plans are sold and administered separately in each region.
|Province||Blue Cross Member Plan||Online Quotes Available?|
|Alberta||Alberta Blue Cross|
|British Columbia||Pacific Blue Cross|
|Manitoba||Manitoba Blue Cross|
|Newfoundland and Labrador||Ontario Blue Cross - useblue.com|
|New Brunswick||Ontario Blue Cross - useblue.com|
|Northwest Territories||Alberta Blue Cross||(Alberta Blue Cross does not offer individual travel coverage to residents of the Northwest Territories.)|
|Nova Scotia||Ontario Blue Cross - useblue.com|
|Nunavut||Manitoba Blue Cross|
|Ontario||Ontario Blue Cross - useblue.com|
|Prince Edward Island||Ontario Blue Cross - useblue.com|
|Quebec||Quebec Blue Cross|
|Saskatchewan||Saskatchewan Blue Cross|
|Yukon||Pacific Blue Cross|
You Need to Know
- You must be a Canadian resident to buy Blue Cross travel insurance
- You must be covered by the government health plan in your province or territory
- You must apply for Blue Cross travel insurance before leaving on your trip
- You will not be covered for any claims if you travel to a country where the Canadian goverment has issued an avoid all travel or avoid non-essential travel warning
- If you’re 61 or older, you’ll probably need to fill out a medical questionnaire
- Visitors to Canada plans are available
Where Can I Get a Quote?
All provinces give travel insurance quotes online (see the table above).
Want to Compare Blue Cross’ rates?
The easiest way to compare Canadian travel insurance rates is to use a comparison website.
Comparison websites, like Kanetix.ca, let you compare quotes for travel insurance from several different companies at once. You type in a few details about your trip, and compare policy coverage and prices to help narrow down your choice. Check out our review of Kanetix.ca.