BMO (Bank of Montreal) is one of the biggest, and most trusted, banks in Canada.
BMO offers single trip emergency medical coverage, trip cancellation/interruption and baggage insurance. BMO’s multi-trip policies are offered through their line of credit cards.
- Nice range of options, allowing you to buy only the insurance that you need
- Prices get cheaper as you bundle insurance
- No deductible
- You must have a BMO credit card to get multi-trip insurance
- Does not cover adventure sports like hang-gliding, bungee jumping or rock climbing. Scuba diving is covered only if you hold a basic Scuba designation for a certified school.
Single Trip Plans
BMO offers a single Travel Medical policy, which you can buy alone, or bundle with their Trip Protection (which comes with trip interruption and baggage insurance, but trip cancellation is optional).
It’s cheaper to bundle insurance packages than buy them separately. For example, we were quoted $130.30 if we purchased Travel Medical Insurance and Trip Protection with Cancellation separately, but only $99.71 if purchased together (for a two week vacation for a 42 year old traveller).
BMO’s Single Trip Policies
Multiple Trip Plans
BMO offers a multi-trip policy through their BMO MasterCard. BMO MasterCard Travel and Medical Protection. You must have a BMO MasterCard, and can add on different levels of coverage for $29-$99 per year.
How Travel Insurance on Canadian Credit Cards Compares
You can only get a full refund if you call and cancel your insurance before you’re scheduled to leave on your trip. This policy may give a partial refund if you have to return early due to medical reasons, but you must apply in writing.
You Need to Know
- BMO’s travel insurance is underwritten by Allianz Global Risks US Insurance Company – Canadian Branch (Allianz)
- You must be a Canadian citizen, and have a Canadian government health insurance plan
- You must buy insurance before you leave on your trip.
- Pre-existing conditions may be covered if they’re stable for a specific amount of time before the policy is effective. Coverage for pre-existing conditions depends on your age, the specific condition, and your answers to their health questionnaire.
How To Buy
You can get a quote and purchase online through BMO.
Want to Compare BMO’s Rates?
The easiest way to compare Canadian travel insurance rates is to use a comparison website.
Comparison websites, likeour review of Kanetix.ca.