CARP was formerly known as the Canadian Association of Retired Persons. It’s a national, non-profit organization that advocates for a better quality of life for Canadians as they age.
You do not need to be a CARP member to get travel insurance through CARP.
CARP’s travel insurance products are provided by McLennan Group Insurance Inc. The McLennan Group is a nationally licensed insurance broker.
- Easy to complete online quote and the ability to retrieve a stored quote
- You can save money by choosing a higher deductible, but this is not available on all plans
- No upper age limit on plans
- You do not need to be a CARP member to get travel insurance through CARP, however, you will get a 5 % discount on your premium if you’re a CARP member. CARP memberships start at $19.95/year.
- There are no special plans for students
- Minimum age is 30 days old
CARP Emergency Medical Insurance Plans
CARP Insurance offers a somewhat confusing number of travel insurance plans. See the table below for a detailed comparison of CARP’s travel insurance plans.
Plans include the Single Trip Daily Plan, the Single Trip Canada Plan, Single Trip All Inclusive, the Single Trip Non-Underwritten Plan, the Single Trip Non-Underwritten Canada Plan The Multi-Trip Annual Plan, the Multi-Trip Annual All Inclusive Plan and the 40 Day Supplemental Multi-Trip Annual Plan for Public Service Health Care Plan (PSHCP) members.
Single Trip Daily Travel Insurance
The plan provides coverage for a single trip only with a maximum medical coverage of 5 million per person.
Single Trip Canada Plan
The Single Trip Canada Plan provides coverage for a single trip within Canada only. The maximum amount of coverage is 5 million per person. No trip cancellation, interruption or baggage insurance is included.
Single Trip All Inclusive Plan
This plan has 5 million emergency medical coverage, plus trip interruption, cancellation and baggage delay and loss or damage coverage.
Single Trip International Non-Underwritten Plan
This zero deductible plan provides coverage for an international trip up to 15 days and is available if you’re between 55 to 74 years old.
The non-underwritten plan does not include trip interruption, cancellation or baggage coverage. The pre-existing condition stability period changes depending on your age and the type of pre-existing conditions, ranging from 90 days to two years. Check your specific policy to confirm.
Quick Trip Canada Single Trip Non-Underwritten Plan
This plan provides coverage for a single trip within Canada up to 15 days and is available only if you’re from 55 to 74 years of age.
This plan does not include trip interruption, cancellation or baggage coverage. The pre-existing condition stability period changes depending on your age, from 90 days for ages 55 to 74 to two years from age 72 and up. Check your specific policy to confirm.
Multi-Trip Annual Travel Insurance
This plan has $5 million emergency medical coverage and covers you for multiple trips within a single year, from 4 to 60 days each, depending on the length you choose.
Multi-Trip All Inclusive
This plan has 5 million emergency medical coverage, plus trip interruption, trip cancellation, and baggage delay, loss or damage coverage. Plans with coverage for multiple trips from 4 to 60 days in length are available.
40 Day Supplemental Multi Trip Annual Plan for Public Service Health Care Plan (PSHCP) members
This plan tops up your existing PSHCP plan, by increasing your emergency medical insurance from $500,000 to $5 million, and includes trip cancellation, trip interruption and other benefits. You cannot get a quote for the 40 Day Supplemental Multi-Trip Annual Plan for Public Service Health Care Plan (PSHCP) members plan online. To get a quote, call 877 566 1417.
You must be a member of the Public Service Health Care Plan.
Non-Medical Travel Insurance
CARP’s stand-alone non-medical travel insurance policy does not include emergency medical insurace, but does include up to the amount purchased for trip cancellation and trip interruption, up to $1,000 baggage loss or damage, and up to $500 baggage delay.
CARP Travel Insurance Comparison Chart
- If you’re traveling within Canada, CARP’s Travel Canada Emergency Medical and Quick Trip Canada plans are offered at 50% off the regular Single-Trip Emergency Medical and Quick Trip rates.
- Discounts are available if you’re traveling with a travel companion or as a family. Family coverage and travel companion savings cannot be combined.
- CARP members get a 5% discount
- For some plans, you can choose a higher deductible to save on your premium. A $10,000 deductible should save you about 45%, while a 5,000 deductible nets a 30% discount, and a $1,000 deductible should save you about 10%.
You can get your premium refunded in full if you submit a written request before your effective date of departure. However, premiums are nonrefundable past the effective date of policy coverage.
You Need to Know
- You need to have a Canadian government health insurance plan to qualify for the CARP insurance travel plans.
- CARP’s travel insurance plans ares underwritten by the Manufacturers Life Insurance Company and the First North American Life Insurance Company.
- You must purchase your travel insurance before you leave on your trip. World Nomads is one of the only insurers we’ve found that offer insurance if you’ve already left on your trip.
- Policies and coverage can change at any time, without warning. Please check your own policy carefully.
How to Buy
You can buy CARP Travel Insurance products online or by calling 877 566 1417.
Want to Compare CARP’s Travel Insurance Policies and Rates?
The easiest way to compare Canadian travel insurance rates is to use a comparison website.
Comparison websites, like Kanetix.ca, let you compare quotes for travel insurance from several different companies at once. Type in a few details about your trip, and compare policy coverage and prices to help narrow down your choice.
Check out our review of Kanetix.ca.