Medipac, established in the 1980s, is one of Canada’s best known medical insurance companies and is especially popular with seniors. Medipac is endorsed by the Canadian Snowbird Association and the Royal Canadian Legion.
- No age limits for travel insurance plans
- A claim-free discount and other discounts
- A 90-day stability period for most pre-existing conditions, which is shorter than many other companies
- If you have a pre-existing condition that isn’t covered by Medipac’s normal plans, Medipac offers individual underwritten, personalized insurance policies. You have to call 1-888-MEDIPAC and ask for an individual underwritten application to apply.
- An easy to use online application
- There is a lengthy medical questionnaires for older applicants, though this is standard for many travel insurance companies in Canada.
- Trip cancellation is not available on the annual multi-trip plan.
Medipac Emergency Medical Insurance Plans
Medipac offers single trip travel medical insurance, annual multi-trip insurance and trip cancellation and interruption insurance.
Single Trip Travel Medical Insurance Plan
Medipac’s single trip travel medical insurance plan includes emergency medical benefits of up to 2 million per person.
Annual Multi Trip Travel Insurance Plan
The Medipac 23 day annual plan covers you for multiple international trips of up to 23 days each (and unlimited Canadian trips up to 60 days) within a single year. Like the single trip plan, the 23 day annual plan includes emergency medical benefits of up to 2 million per person.
Trip cancellation through Medipac is an optional add-on to any single trip travel insurance plan. Trip cancellation is not available on the annual multi-trip plan. You can purchase trip cancellation insurance for single trips under Medipac’s annual plan by calling Medipac after you purchase the annual plan.
Medipac Travel Insurance Comparison Chart
A full refund is available if a request is made in writing before the effective policy date. An administration fee of $50 will be charged per policy. However, no refunds will be granted if you’ve made a claim.
If you return to Canada at least 10 days before your scheduled return date, you can get a pro-rated refund less a $20 administration free. Your refund requests need to be in writing, from within Canada.
How to save money
- Residents of PEI, Nunavut, the Northwest Territories or Yukon automatically save 5 %.
- The claim free discount can save you up to 10 %.
- Medipac’s loyalty credit can save you up to 7 %.
- If you sign up for travel insurance in July or mid-August you save 5 % with the Early Bird Travel Insurance ®program. You can also pay in four interest free installments. If your rates go down, Medipac will refund the difference.
- You’ll save money on your premium if you choose a higher deductible (deductibles range from 0 to $10,000).
- If you’re are a federal superannuate member of the Public Service Health Care Plan (PSHCP), you can buy Medipac Travel Insurance for your entire trip and get a credit toward your purchase and get a 40-day annual plan at no extra cost.
You Need to Know
- Medipac Travel Insurance products are underwritten by Old Republic Insurance Company of Canada and Reliable Life Insurance Company in Quebec..
- All applicants need to have a current Canadian Government Health Insurance Plan for the length of your coverage.
- Trip cancellation must be purchased within the 48 hours of booking your trip or before any cancellation penalties apply.
- Policies and coverage can change at any time, without warning. This article is only intended as general advice. Please check your own policy carefully.
How to Buy
Medipac Travel Insurance products can be purchased online by getting a quote on the Medipac website and paying online through a credit card.
Want to Compare Medipac’s Rates?
The easiest way to compare Medipac’s rates with other Canadian travel insurance policy costs is to use a comparison website.
Comparison websites, like Kanetix.ca, let you compare quotes for travel insurance from several different companies at once. Type in a few details about your trip, and compare policy coverage and prices to help narrow down your choice. Check out our review of Kanetix.ca.