For more than 70 years, Pacific Blue Cross has been providing several travel benefits to British Columbians, along with health, life, dental and and disability coverage.
- Pacific Blue Cross travel insurance policies don’t have an age limit
- Returning Canadians awaiting eligibility of a government health insurance plan can be covered on the Visitor’s to Canada plan
- Pacific Blue cross offers direct play – they will pay medical providers directly
- Extremely flexible online quote system that let you easily modify coverage details
- Expenses due to childbirth or pregnancy within two months of the due date are not covered
- Plans can only be purchased before the trip departure date
- Travel plans are only offered for residents of British Columbia or the Yukon with a government medical health plan
- If you’re 61 or over, you’ll need to complete a health declaration
Pacific Blue Cross Travel Insurance Plans
The company offers five types of emergency medical plans: Basic Single Trip Emergency Medical Plan, Standard Single Trip Emergency Medical Plan, Plus Single Trip Emergency Medical Plan, Basic Annual (Multi-trip) Emergency Medical Care Plan and the Plus Annual (Multi-trip) Emergency Medical Care Plan.
Basic Single Trip Emergency Medical Plan
This plan includes up to $5 million in emergency medical coverage, repatriation costs, medical follow-up, ambulance and taxi, subsistence allowance, air flight, accidental death and baggage and other benefits. This plan does not include trip cancellation, trip interruption and baggage insurance, however you can add these additional benefits to the plan. This plan is not available if you’re age 61 or over.
Standard Single Trip Plan
This plan includes $5 million in emergency medical coverage, trip cancellation and trip interruption coverage, and up to $500 in baggage coverage. You can choose to purchase this plan without trip cancellation, interruption or baggage insurance to save on your premium.
Package Plus Single Trip Plan
This plan includes $5 million in emergency medical coverage, and trip cancellation and trip interruption coverage, and up to $1,500 in baggage coverage. You can choose to purchase this plan without trip cancellation, interruption or baggage insurance to save on your premium.
Basic Annual (Multi-trip) Emergency Medical Care Plan
This plan insures you for multiple trips in a year, and includes up to $5 million emergency medical coverage per person. It also includes meals and accommodation of up to $300 per person per day, emergency dental, up to $100 incidental expenses and return of vehicle among other benefits .
You can’t add trip cancellation, interruption or baggage insurance to this plan.
You can choose from a maximum trip duration of 15, 30, 60, 90, 120, 150 or 180 days. If you’re age 61 or over, you cannot buy this plan online. Instead, you’ll need to contact a PBC representative.
Plus Annual (Multi-trip) Plan
This plan insures you for travel more than once a year, and includes up to $5 million emergency medical coverage per person. It also includes meals and accommodation of up to $300 per person per day, emergency dental, up to $100 incidental expenses and return of vehicle among other benefits.
You can choose from a maximum trip duration of 14, 17, 24 and 31 days. The Plus plan includes unlimited trip interruption, up to $1,500 in baggage insurance, and from $1,500 to $4,000 in trip cancellation (depending on the maximum trip duration).
Trip Cancellation and Interruption
Pacific Blue Cross offers trip cancellation and interruption insurance as an add on to their emergency medical single and multi-trip plans. You can buy trip cancellation and interruption insurance individually, without purchasing a medical travel insurance plan.
Depending on the type of travel insurance policy you buy, you can add on $500, $1,000, $1,500 or $2,000 in baggage coverage. You must have purchased your trip within the last 72 hours to be eligible for trip cancellation insurance.
Comparison Chart for Pacific Blue Cross
Out of Country Coverage in PBC Group Health Plans
Many of Pacific Blue Cross’ group health care plans have some sort of insurance for medical emergencies when travelling.
Most group plans have a 50 day trip maximum duration, and incidental expenses are not covered. Group plans also don’t include trip cancellation, trip interruption or baggage.
Visitors to Canada Plan
This plan includes emergency medical coverage of up to $5 million per person for new immigrants, workers, tourists and students. It also includes trip cancellation and interruption and baggage delay optional coverage.
You can buy this plan within 30 days of arriving in Canada, and coverage starts 72 hours after the date of your application. If you buy coverage before you arrive in Canada, you’re covered from the day you arrive.
Tips for Saving with Pacific Blue Cross Travel Insurance
- You can save 10% of the travel policy amount if you already have the Pacific Blue Cross Dental plan or Extended Health Care plan.
- If you travel more than once in a year, you can save buy buying an annual (multi-trip) plan, instead of separate single trip plans.
Premiums can be refunded witha written request before the date of departure except for trip cancellation insurance, with a $25 administration fee.
You Need to Know
- All travel products are underwritten by the Pacific Blue Cross Insurance Company Limited.
- Apart from the Visitors to Canada Plan, you need to be a resident of British Columbia or the Yukon and have a Canadian government health insurance plan.
- You can buy an extension on your policy, but you must buy the extension before your policy expires.
- Policies and coverage can change at any time, without warning. This article is only intended as general advice. Please check your own policy carefully and visit Pacific Blue Cross for up to date information.
- You must apply for coverage before leaving on your trip. World Nomads is one of the only insurers we’ve found that offer insurance if you’ve already left on your trip.
How to Buy
You can purchase the Pacific Blue Cross travel plan by filling an online quote and paying through credit card. If you want to pay by cheque, you can mail your application and cheque, or come into the Vancouver office.
If you are buying a top-up policy (a portion of your trip is covered by other insurance) then you must call the company toll free at 1 800 873-2583 or directly at 604-419-2200.
Want to Compare Pacific Blue Cross Plans with Other Travel Insurance Policies?
The easiest way to compare Canadian travel insurance rates is to use a comparison website.
Comparison websites, like Kanetix.ca, let you compare quotes for travel insurance from several different companies at once. Type in a few details about your trip, and compare policy coverage and prices to help narrow down your choice. Check out our review of Kanetix.ca.