Founded in 1946, Saskatchewan Blue Cross is as a member of the Canadian Association of Blue Cross Plans. The company also has links with the International Federation of Health Funds and the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association.
- Coverage is available for all ages
- You can renew your plan automatically
- Annual (multi-trip) policies are available only as an optional benefit with a Personal Health Plan
- You must be a resident of Saskatchewan and have a valid Saskatchewan health care card
- Somewhat clunky online quote system
- You can only purchase the single trip plan online. You cannot purchase multi-trip (annual) or student plans online.
Saskatchewan Blue Cross Travel Insurance offers only three plans: A Daily Travel Insurance Plan, a VIP Travel Plan and a Student Travel Plan.
Saskatchewan Blue Cross Daily Single Trip Insurance Plan
This plan is designed for people who travel only once or twice a year.
The daily single trip plan includes emergency medical care benefits of up to $5 million per person, meals and accommodation coverage for up to $1,500 per person, and 24 hour travel assistance. You can buy an additional accidental death and dismemberment option, with up to $50,000 per covered person for accidental death or dismemberment.
This is the only Saskatchewan Blue Cross plan that you can purchase online.
VIP Annual (Multi-trip) Emergency Medical Care Plan
This plan is available only as an optional benefit if you have a Personal Health Plan with Saskatchewan Blue cross.
The VIP Annual plan is designed for travelers who travel several times during the year. It offers travel insurance for up to 30 consecutive days per trip with no limit on the number of trips.
The VIP plan includes emergency medical insurance of up to $5 million per person, meals and accommodation coverage for up to $1,500, vehicle return coverage for up to $1,000, return of deceased coverage for up to $5,000, trip interruption coverage for up to $1,000, baggage and personal effects for up to $1,000 and air flight accident insurance of up to $100,000 among other benefits.
You cannot purchase this plan online, but you can get an online quote.
International Student Travel Insurance Plan
This plan is for Canadian students who are studying full time outside of Canada.
It includes emergency medical coverage of up to $5 million per person and accidental death and dismemberment coverage of up to $50,000 per person among other benefits.
You cannot purchase this plan online or get a quote online.
Comparison Chart for Saskatchewan Blue Cross Travel Insurance Plans
Tips for Saving with Saskatchewan Blue Cross Travel Insurance
Since Saskatchewan Blue Cross is a member of the Canadian Association of Blue Cross Plans, so you can get discounts through the Blue Advantage, a national discount provider program.
Refunds and Extensions
- If you cancel before you travel, you can get a full refund.
- If you return early from your trip, you can get a refund less an administrative fee.
- All cancellation requests must be made in writing.
- Extensions to your Saskatchewan Blue Cross travel plan are available by contacting Saskatchewan Blue Cross at 306.244.1192 or 1.800.667.6853 or through your broker.
You Need to Know
- To qualify for these plans, you need to have a valid Saskatchewan Health Services Card.
- You must purchase your Saskatchewan Blue Cross travel insurance before you leave on your trip, or before leaving Canada (depending on the specific policy – be sure to check your policy wording). If you’ve already departed, World Nomads offers policies to travelers who’ve already started their trip.
- Policies and coverage can change at any time, without warning. This article is only intended as general advice. Please check your own policy carefully.
How to Buy
Want to Compare Saskatchewan Blue Cross’ Rates and Plans?
If you’d like to compare Saskatchewan Blue Cross plans and policies with other travel insurance companies, the quickest way is to get a few comparison quotes.
Comparison websites, like Kanetix.ca, let you compare quotes for travel insurance from several different companies at once. You type in a few details about your trip, and compare policy coverage and prices to help narrow down your choice. Check out our review of Kanetix.ca.