The American Express® Platinum Credit Card card is probably the most prestigious travel credit card that offers travel insurance perks.
- Unlimited medical travel insurance benefits
- Great perks, including complementary airport lounge access and no preset spending limit
- High annual fee ($699)
- Travel insurance cover is only valid for those age 64 or under (this is true of almost all credit cards with travel insurance)
What Travel Insurance is Included?
- Emergency medical insurance for the first 15 days of each trip. Only covers those age 64 and under.
- Trip Interruption $1,500 per person ($6,000 maximum)
- Trip cancellation insurance $1,500 per person ($3,000 maximum)
- Baggage delay insurance $1,000 total per trip (for all insured people combined)
- Lost or stolen baggage $1,000
- Flight delay insurance $1,000 total for hotel, motel, restaurant and sundry expenses if our flight is delayed (and no alternate transportation is made available)
- Accidental death and dismemberment insurance $500,000 for you, your spouse, and dependent children
- Hotel/Motel burglary $1,000
- Car rental theft and damage
- Travel medical concierge and travel emergency assistance
Other Perks and Details
- Introductory offer of 50,000 Bonus Membership Rewards points
- $600 annual fee, $175 for supplementary cards
- Complementary airport lounge access
- $200 annual travel credit for any single travel booking of $200 or more
- Automatic Gold Preferred membership in the Starwood Preferred Guest program
- Purchase protection
- Buyer’s assistance protection, which doubles the manufacturer’s original warranty up to one additional year
- No preset spending limit
- Entertainment concierge and front of the line access
- Personal annual income of $60,000 or more
- 1.25 Membership Rewards points for every dollar in purchases
The American Express® Platinum Credit Card is also offered with an AeroPlanPlus®, AIR MILES®, Business, or Business AIR MILES® option.
You Should Know
The American Express AIR MILES Platinum card does not offer emergency medical travel insurance. However, the American Express® Platinum Credit Card card, profiled in this review, offers a wide range of travel insurance, including emergency medical insurance. See our comparison of travel insurance offered on all American Express cards for more information.
How Can I Get An American Express Platinum Card?
Check out Rate Supermarket’s switch and save calculator below to see if you can save money by switching to the American Express® Gold Rewards Card.