“Most credit cards offer perks, but few compare to the Scotiabank Gold American Express Card, which provides hotel insurance and trip interruption coverage, as well as hotel and car rental discounts, to name just a few.” – Moneysense, Best Travel Credit Cards of 2015.
- 15,000 bonus sign up points, which is worth $150 in travel
- Mid-range annual fee of $99
- $1 million medical travel insurance benefits
- Multi-trip coverage for all travelers, including those over the age of 65
- Clearly written, easy to understand policy
- 4 Scotia Rewards points for every $1 you spend on groceries, gas, dining and entertainment, and 1 reward point on everything else
- Mid-range annual fee of $99 may be a bit high for those seeking basic travel insurance benefits. The Scotiabank American Express card’s $39 fee may be a better fit for those who don’t mind fewer Scotia Rewards points, and who don’t need trip cancellation insurance.
What Travel Insurance Is Included?
- $1 million Travel Emergency Medical Insurance
- For those under 65 years of age, Travel Emergency Medical Insurance for the first 25 days of each trip. You can call the Insurer to buy additional insurance if your trip is longer than 25 days.
- For those over 65 years of age and older, Travel Emergency Medical Insurance for the first 10 days of each trip. You can call the Insurer to buy additional insurance if your trip is longer than 10 days.
- Trip Interruption $2,500 per person ($10,000 maximum per trip for all Insured Persons)
- Trip cancellation $2,500 per person ($10,000 maximum per trip for all Insured Persons)
- Flight Delay $500 per trip
- Lost and Delayed Luggage ($1,000 per trip)
- Common Carrier Travel Accident Insurance of up to $500,000
You should know
- You must charge a specific portion of your trip to be eligible for Common Carrier Travel Accident Insurance and Trip Interruption Insurance
- You must be a resident of Canada and covered by a Canadian Government Health Insurance Plan
- Under all insurance coverages, certain limitation, restrictions and exclusions apply, including a pre-existing condition exclusion for certain benefits. Please refer to the insurance certificates for full details of all coverages underwritten by independent licensed insurers. The Bank of Nova Scotia is not an insurer. All claims for insurance indemnities must be forwarded to the insurers.
Other Perks and Details
- Rental Car Collision/Loss Damage Insurance
- Hotel/Motel Burglary Insurance
- Earn 4 Scotia Rewards points for every $1 you spend at gas stations, grocery stores, on dining and entertainment, and one point for every dollar you spend on all other eligible purchases
- Extended Warranty insurance
- Price Protection
How Can I Get A Scotiabank Gold American Express Card?
You can find out more about the Scotiabank Gold American Express card on Scotiabank’s website.