Manulife is one of the biggest travel insurance companies in Canada. Manulife sells travel insurance directly, and also underwrites many other travel insurance providers, including CARP (an association for retired Canadians).
Manulife offers single trip and multi-trip emergency medical coverage, trip cancellation and interruption and baggage insurance under the CoverMe name. Manulife also offers visitors to Canada and Super Visa insurance, and student travel insurance for international students in Canada and Canadian students studying outside Canada or their home province.
Their TravelEase® for Canadians with medical conditions plan is designed for travelers with pre-existing conditions.
- Nice range of options, allowing you to buy only the insurance that you need
- Manulife’s CoverMe Quick Trip policy allows coverage for those 55-74 years of age for one trip of 17 days or less without completing a medical questionnaire
- Offer a range of deductible options ($500, $1,000, $1,500, $10,000), which can save you money
- Informative web site, with information easily available
Want to save some $$$? One of our readers, Brian, gave us this money saving tip! He managed to save over $500 for a five month winter stay in the USA by buying his Manulife insurance through Costco online. You’ll need an executive Costco membership. Here’s the link: https://www.memberhealthplan.com/costco/home.jsp?lang=E&MKT=223
- Children must be at least 30 days old to be insured under Manulife’s travel insurance plans
- Use a somewhat complicated rate category matrix to determine if you need to fill out a medical questionnaire and your premium cost
Single and Multi-trip Plans
Manulife offers six variations on their single trip plans, which vary in trip cancellation and interruption . You can also buy trip cancellation and interruption insurance separately. The Travel Canada Emergency medical plan covers you if you travel within Canada, and out of your home province.
TravelEase® for Canadians with Medical Conditions
if you have health conditions, Manulife’s TravelEase® plan can give you up to $5,000,000 in emergency medical travel insurance. You’ll need to phone to apply, and be ready to answer questions about prescription names, dosage and physician contact information. Manulife claims this plan offers coverage for many pre-existing conditions that other plans won’t cover.
Manulife Policies Compared
Refunds and Extensions
You can only get a full refund if you call and cancel your insurance before you’re scheduled to leave on your trip. You may get a partial refund if you have to return early.
There are no refunds or cancellations on Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption, All-Inclusive or Multi-Trip All-Inclusive plans.
You can get an extension on your policy if no claim has been made or will be made, your health status hasn’t changed, and the total trip length is under 183 days (212 days for residents of Ontario or Newfoundland).
You Need to Know
- You must be a Canadian citizen, and have a Canadian government health insurance plan
- Single trip plans must be purchased for the entire amount of time you’re out of Canada
- You must buy insurance before you leave on your trip. World Nomads is the only insurance company we’ve found that will let you buy travel insurance after you’ve left on vacation. Click here to get a World Nomads Quote.
- Pre-existing conditions may be covered if they’re stable for a specific amount of time before the policy is effective. Coverage for pre-existing conditions depends on your age, the specific condition, and your answers to their health questionnaire.
How To Buy
You can get a quote and purchase online through Manulife. If you don’t successfully answer the medical questionnaire online, and you’re over 55, you can apply for coverage by calling 1-855-297-4373. You need to call 1-855-297-4373 to apply for the TravelEase® for Canadians with medical conditions plan.
Want to Compare TIC’s Rates?
The easiest way to compare Canadian travel insurance rates is to use a comparison website.
Comparison websites like Kanetix.ca let you compare quotes for travel insurance from several different companies at once. Type in a few details about your trip, and compare policy coverage and prices to help narrow down your choice. Check out our review of Kanetix.ca.
By: Kanetix Travel Insurance
*As always, the information on this page is from one Canadian traveller to another. We have spent years abroad and have gotten to know the ins and outs of the industry however we are not travel insurance agents. If you have any travel insurance questions, please talk to a qualified travel insurance agent or broker. Finally, policies and plans can and do change all the time, without warning, so always consult your insurance policy since that is the legal document to which you are agreeing to.
*This article is only intended as general advice. Please check your own policy carefully.