The American Express® Platinum Credit Card card is probably the most prestigious travel credit card that offers travel insurance perks.
- Unlimited medical travel insurance benefits
- Great perks, including complementary airport lounge access and no preset spending limit
- High annual fee ($699)
- Travel insurance cover is only valid for those age 64 or under (this is true of almost all credit cards with travel insurance)
What Travel Insurance is Included?
- Emergency medical insurance for the first 15 days of each trip. Only covers those age 64 and under.
- Trip Interruption $1,500 per person ($6,000 maximum)
- Trip cancellation insurance $1,500 per person ($3,000 maximum)
- Baggage delay insurance $1,000 total per trip (for all insured people combined)
- Lost or stolen baggage $1,000
- Flight delay insurance $1,000 total for hotel, motel, restaurant and sundry expenses if our flight is delayed (and no alternate transportation is made available)
- Accidental death and dismemberment insurance $500,000 for you, your spouse, and dependent children
- Hotel/Motel burglary $1,000
- Car rental theft and damage
- Travel medical concierge and travel emergency assistance
Other Perks and Details
- Introductory offer of 50,000 Bonus Membership Rewards points
- $600 annual fee, $175 for supplementary cards
- Complementary airport lounge access
- $200 annual travel credit for any single travel booking of $200 or more
- Automatic Gold Preferred membership in the Starwood Preferred Guest program
- Purchase protection
- Buyer’s assistance protection, which doubles the manufacturer’s original warranty up to one additional year
- No preset spending limit
- Entertainment concierge and front of the line access
- Personal annual income of $60,000 or more
- 1.25 Membership Rewards points for every dollar in purchases
The American Express® Platinum Credit Card is also offered with an AeroPlanPlus®, AIR MILES®, Business, or Business AIR MILES® option.
You Should Know
The American Express AIR MILES Platinum card does not offer emergency medical travel insurance. However, the American Express® Platinum Credit Card card, profiled in this review, offers a wide range of travel insurance, including emergency medical insurance. See our comparison of travel insurance offered on all American Express cards for more information.
How Can I Get An American Express Platinum Card?
Check out Rate Supermarket’s switch and save calculator below to see if you can save money by switching to the American Express® Gold Rewards Card.
*As always, the information on this page is from one Canadian traveller to another. We have spent years abroad and have gotten to know the ins and outs of the industry however we are not travel insurance agents. If you have any travel insurance questions, please talk to a qualified travel insurance agent or broker. Finally, policies and plans can and do change all the time, without warning, so always consult your insurance policy since that is the legal document to which you are agreeing to.
*This article is only intended as general advice. Please check your own policy carefully.