TuGo has been in the Canadian travel insurance industry for over 50 years (since 1964). Since then, they’ve evolved from Travel Underwriters, TU Group and OneWorld Assist to the current TuGo.
TuGo offers travel insurance for Canadians travelling abroad, Canadians travelling within Canada, and Visitors to Canada.
- One of the most modern, sleek travel insurance websites we’ve reviewed
- You can start the claims process online
- TuGo is one of Canada’s oldest travel insurance companies
- You can opt to have your multi-trip annual plan renewed automatically, if you’re age 58 or younger
- Most plans don’t have a maximum age limit, except for all family plans and all-inclusive plans, which have an age limit of 59 years and under
- Pre-existing conditions are covered for Travel Within Canada plans.
- You can get add-on optional sports coverage. Coverage is based on risk level; from contact sports to adventure sports to extreme sports.
- You must be 59 or under to get all-inclusive holiday insurance and family plans (though other plans have no maximum age).
TuGo offers several plans for Canadians, including Emergency Medical Insurance, Non-Medical Package, All Inclusive Holiday Package, Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance, Trip Interruption Insurance, Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance, and Baggage Insurance. Most plans can be purchased either as a single trip plan or a multi-trip policy.
There are two Visitors to Canada plans; a Visitors to Canada Medical plan, and a Visitors to Canada Holiday Package.
You can extend your coverage, but you must contact TuGo before your coverage expires. Conditions and fees may apply.
Cancellation and Refunds
For Single Trip and Multi-trip (annual) Travel Medical policies, you can cancel your policy and get a full refund within 10 days of purchasing your policy, as long as you haven’t left on your trip or filed a claim. This doesn’t apply to policies with trip cancellation or trip interruption, or packages. Check your policy for specific details and requirements.
You Need To Know
- You can start a claim online
- You must be a resident of Canada and be covered by a Canadian government health plan (for plans for Canadians)
- You must purchase insurance before you leave on your trip
- Your trip must start and end in Canada
- Policies and coverage can change at any time, without warning. This article is only intended as general advice. Please check your own policy carefully.
How To Learn more
Learning more about TuGo insurance online is easy. You simply enter some basic information, and can compare policies and more in under 10 minutes.
*As always, the information on this page is from one Canadian traveller to another. We have spent years abroad and have gotten to know the ins and outs of the industry however we are not travel insurance agents. If you have any travel insurance questions, please talk to a qualified travel insurance agent or broker. Finally, policies and plans can and do change all the time, without warning, so always consult your insurance policy since that is the legal document to which you are agreeing to.
*This article is only intended as general advice. Please check your own policy carefully.