In Canada, President’s Choice was first known for low cost food and housewares sold under Loblaws companies including Superstore, Extra Foods, No Frills and others. Soon, the company branched out into banking as PC Financial and into selling insurance as PC Insurance.
IMPORTANT 2017 update!
PC® insurance is no longer offering travel insurance.
Click here to learn more now for other travel insurance plans on Kanetix, a website that lets you compare travel insurance quotes for several different companies at once.
If you currently have a PC travel insurance policy, their website (as of May 2017) says that you can still extend your policy or make a claim.
If you bought a PC Financial Travel Insurance To Go product, and you haven’t used it yet, you have up to 12 months from the date of purchase to begin your trip.
Go to PC Travel Insurance here to get more information on starting aPC Financial Travel Insurance To Go that you’ve already purchased, or for information on other current PC Financial policies.
If you want to return an un-activated policy PC Financial Travel Insurance To Go product, call 1-866-283-9230 to arrange a refund. You can’t get a refund in store.
While PC financial no longer offers travel insurance, we’ve kept the information on the products they used to have below, just for reference purposes.
Click here to learn more and compare quotes now for other travel insurance plans on Kanetix, a website that lets you compare travel insurance quotes for several different companies at once.
PC Travel Insurance offers four single trip travel insurance policies: the Single Trip Medical plan, the Single Trip Comprehensive plan, the Trip Cancellation and Baggage plan, and the PC Financial Travel Insurance To Go plan.
Note: Policy details may be slightly different for residents of Quebec or New Brunswick, or for policies that include Cuba.
- You don’t need to be a PC Financial customer to get PC Insurance
- Convenient, easy online quotes and purchase
- Emergency medical insurance is available up to age 84
- Some of the highest limits for emergency medical coverage in Canada (unlimited for those under 60, and $10 million for those age 60 or over)
- You can earn PC points if you get your PC® travel insurance or PC Financial® Travel Insurance To Go policy with a PC Financial® MasterCard®
- Comprehensive coverage and trip cancellation aren’t available if you’re over age 74, though you can get single trip emergency medical coverage up to age 84
- You’ll need to fill out a medical questionnaire if you’re over 60
- The Single Trip Comprehensive plan to Cuba does not include trip cancellation coverage for children under age 12
- Does not provide coverage for pre-existing conditions
- Policy wording is especially difficult to read
Single Trip Comprehensive Plan
PC Insurance offers a single trip comprehensive plan, which offers:
- Unlimited emergency medical coverage if you’re under age 60, and $10 million if you’re age 60 or over
- Trip cancellation, interruption and delay to a maximum of $12,000, or incurred expenses, whichever is less
- Baggage and personal effects coverage up to $2,000 total for all insured people
- Flight accident and travel accident insurance
- You must by 74 years of age or younger
- There’s a 183 day trip maximum if you’re 59 or under, and a 30 day maximum for those 60 to 74
- Emergency air transportation back to Canada if recommend by your physician
- Optional car rental collision, golf, skiing, business or special events coverage is available for an extra charge
Single Trip Medical Plan
PC Financial’s single trip medical plan only offers emergency medical insurance. This plan does not include trip cancellation, interruption, baggage and flight accident insurance. The single trip medical plan offers:
- Unlimited emergency medical coverage for those under 60, and $10 million for those age 60 or over
- Emergency air transportation back to Canada if recommend by your physician
- You must be 84 years of age or younger
- There’s a 365 day trip maximum if you’re 59 or younger, a 183 day maximum if you’re aged 60 to 74 (212 days in Ontario and Newfoundland), and a 183 day maximum if you’re 75 to 84
Trip Cancellation & Baggage Plan
PC Financial offers a simple trip cancellation and baggage plan, which offers:
- Trip cancellation, interruption and trip delay ($12,000 total or the amount insured, whichever is less)
- Baggage and personal effects coverage ($2,000 for all insured personal total)
- Baggage delay ($400)
- Accidental death and dismemberment
- Optional rental car protection for an additional charge
PC Financial Travel Insurance To Go
You can get PC Financial Travel Insurance To Go at select stores where President’s Choice products are sold, including Real Canadian Superstore, YIG and No Frills.
The PC Financial Travel Insurance To Go policies only over $1 million in emergency medical coverage, and no trip cancellation, interruption or baggage insurance. However, a medical heath insurance questionnaire is not required. The maximum age is 74 years, and the maximum trip length, if you’re under 60 years of age, is 4,8, or 15 days. If you’re between 60 and 74 years old, you can get coverage for up to 8 days.
Important: You get PC Financial Travel Insurance To Go in store, but you must activate by phone or online. You do not have coverage until you activate your policy!
Comparing PC Financial Travel Insurance Plans
Refunds terms are fairly inflexible. From the single trip comprehensive policy: “Refunds are available if Your Trip is cancelled by the supplier prior to departure or if Your supplier ends the Trip earlier and You have a minimum three (3) unused days of coverage and You are given a full refund of the cost of Your pre-paid travel arrangements.”
You can’t get a refund if a claim has been filed or completed.
There are no refunds available for the PC Financial Travel Insurance To Go policies.
You Need to Know
- PC Financial’s travel medical insurance is administered by Travel Guard Group Canada Inc.
- You must get the PC Financial policy for the entire duration of your trip
- You must be a Canadian resident, and have a Canadian government health insurance plan
- You must get insurance before you leave on your trip. World Nomads is the only insurance company we’ve found that will let you get travel insurance after you’ve left on vacation.
- Policies and coverage can change at any time, without warning. This article is only intended as general advice. Please check your own policy carefully.
How to Learn More
PC® insurance is no longer offering travel insurance, so you can’t get their insurance in store or online.
Still looking for travel insurance?
Click here to learn more and compare quotes now for other travel insurance plans on Kanetix, a website that lets you compare travel insurance quotes for several different companies at once. Just type in a few details about your trip, and compare policy coverage and prices to help narrow down your choice. Check out our review.
Still looking? Check out our reviews of travel insurance for Canadian seniors, World Nomads (one of our personal favorites), and Blue Cross travel insurance, and our helpful post on where to get travel insurance online.
*As always, the information on this page is from one Canadian traveller to another. We have spent years abroad and have gotten to know the ins and outs of the industry however we are not travel insurance agents. If you have any travel insurance questions, please talk to a qualified travel insurance agent or broker. Finally, policies and plans can and do change all the time, without warning, so always consult your insurance policy since that is the legal document to which you are agreeing to.
*This article is only intended as general advice. Please check your own policy carefully.