skip to Main Content
Canadian Passport Photo by Jeff Nelson on Flickr

Provincial Health Care, Extended Travel And Expat Travel Insurance For Canadians

When a Manitoban couple asked us about insurance policies for a year long extended trip, the realization that their provincial health care would expire seven months after they left the province forced them to look at travel insurance alternatives. The answer, Expatriate Insurance. This post delves into what you need to know about how provincial health care works across Canada and some fine print you need to know about traditional travel insurance. It most likely requires you to maintain your provincial health coverage, something this couple couldn't do for their entire year long adventure.
Read more
Car Lanes to get into US Border from Canada

Multi-Trip Insurance for Canadian Cross Border Shoppers

For people that live close enough to the U.S. border or frequently jaunt across to save on U.S. only deals, getting travel insurance should be a high priority. When you factor in the total amount of time you spend across the border, even if it's only for a few hours at a time, the chance of something going wrong increases significantly. Unfortunately, purchasing traditional travel insurance every time you skip across isn't convenient or the most economical. That's why multi-trip insurance (sometime known as annual insurance) was created. It's usually a yearly plan that covers frequent small trips out of the country. It's also one of the best deals for the frequent border crosser.
Read more
Travel Health Kit List For Canadians

What Should You Pack In Your Travel Health Kit?

A travel first aid kit is a great idea for almost any adventure. Since we've started traveling, our kit has grown bigger every year. That said, it's been wonderful to have first aid supplies and basic medications on hand in case of a travel emergency. Here are some of our best ideas for what to bring along in your travel health kit.
Read more
Canadian Flag by Alex Indigo

What You Need To Know About The Canadian Government’s Registration Program For Canadians Overseas

The Canadian government offers a helpful registration service for Canadians abroad. It's called the Registration of Canadians Abroad (ROCA) service (I guess they don't pay government employees to come up with catchy titles). ROCA can be used in two ways: 1) to inform you of an emergency at home, and 2) to contact you with urgent information and advice in case of an emergency. Practically, this means that the Canadian government can contact you if there's a major issue at your destination, such as civil unrest, or an earthquake or other natural disaster.
Read more
The open road in New Zealand

Do You Make Any Of These 5 Travel Mistakes?

Your vacation is supposed to be relaxing. Unfortunately, there's a lot that can go wrong between the time you book your tickets and get to your destination. Check out the five mistakes Canadians make again and again when they hit the road.
Read more
Back To Top